April 30, 2020
The COVID-19 global pandemic has rapidly transformed our lives.
This webinar discusses the many ethical issues within clinical care, public health, research, and wider society in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. The webinar was hosted by the Ethics and Politics of Infection Node at the Marie Bashir Institute on 1 April 2020.
The kind of questions the panel aimed to explore included:
- How should we make decisions about allocating scarce resources within a pandemic?
- Should we prioritise those who are younger?
- What can justify restrictions on freedoms of movement and assembly etc, if anything?
- Who are reliable sources of information within a pandemic?
- What obligations do we have as a society to those who are disadvantaged?
- How should we weigh the protection of health against longer term economic considerations?
- What can we all do to support health care workers to ensure they are protected and can carry on doing their jobs?
- What should we all do to protect the community’s health?