Understanding host response of severe viral pneumonitis
Expected outcomes for Australia
A new biomarker assay will be developed to enhance pandemic management in Australia by:
- Improving patient triage
- Enabling fast screening of low-risk patients
- Supporting clinical decisions (eg. discharge of low-risk patient for home isolation)
- Reducing overcrowding at public hospitals
- Ensuring rapid referral of high-risk patients to intensive care units (ICUs)
- Helping allocation of precious health resources.
This project assesses host response biomarkers in blood samples from people infected with SARS-CoV-2 and will compare biomarkers across the spectrum of disease – from mild to moderate and severe.
The project will help to answer research questions including:
- Are there biomarkers to predict disease progression?
- Can biomarkers highlight mechanistic differences between mild and severe disease?