Professor Steve Webb is a Senior Staff Specialist in Intensive Care Medicine at Royal Perth Hospital and a Professor of Critical Care Research in the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine at Monash University.
Professor Webb is a trialist who designs and conducts clinical trials that generate evidence to improve patient care. He is a recipient of more than $85 million in research funding and has published over 140 manuscripts including multiple manuscripts in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, The BMJ, and The Lancet. He led time-critical observational research during the 2009 influenza pandemic and has ongoing involvement with international consortia, as well as APPRISE, that have the shared objective of being better prepared to conduct research during epidemics.
He is a founding Director of the Australian Clinical Trials Alliance, a foundation Fellow and a member of the Council of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences, a former chair of the ANZICS Clinical Trials Group, and a member of the NHMRC Health Translation Advisory Committee.
Research Leader of
- Use of an extended KDIGO definition to diagnose acute kidney injury in patients with COVID-19: A multinational study using the ISARIC-WHO clinical characterisation protocol
- Effect of antiplatelet therapy on survival and organ support-free days in critically ill patients with COVID-19: A randomized clinical trial
- Glucocorticoid dose in COVID-19: Lessons for clinical trials during a pandemic
- Effect of convalescent plasma on organ support–free days in critically ill patients with COVID-19. A randomized clinical trial
- Association between convalescent plasma treatment and mortality in COVID-19: a collaborative systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials
- Essential Emergency and Critical Care: a consensus among global clinical experts
- Therapeutic anticoagulation with heparin in critically ill patients with Covid-19
- Therapeutic anticoagulation with heparin in noncritically ill patients with Covid-19
- Interleukin-6 receptor antagonists in critically ill patients with Covid-19
- Outcomes for patients with COVID‐19 admitted to Australian intensive care units during the first four months of the pandemic
- Maintaining strong foundations and building resilience: planning Australia’s path through the COVID-19 pandemic
- Effect of hydrocortisone on mortality and organ support in patients with severe COVID-19. The REMAP-CAP COVID-19 corticosteroid domain randomized clinical trial
- Priority needs for conducting pandemic-relevant clinical research with children in Europe: A consensus study with pediatric clinician-researchers
- Clinical research networks and assessing pandemic severity
- Bending the pandemic curve: Improving decision-making with clinical research
- Webinar – Managing uncertainty in clinical trials: the role of adaptive trial designs
- Plenary presentation: Pandemics cross borders: How to tackle them from a global perspective