Professor Steve Webb is a Senior Staff Specialist in Intensive Care Medicine at Royal Perth Hospital and a Professor of Critical Care Research in the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine at Monash University.
Professor Webb is a trialist who designs and conducts clinical trials that generate evidence to improve patient care. He is a recipient of more than $85 million in research funding and has published over 140 manuscripts including multiple manuscripts in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, The BMJ, and The Lancet. He led time-critical observational research during the 2009 influenza pandemic and has ongoing involvement with international consortia, as well as APPRISE, that have the shared objective of being better prepared to conduct research during epidemics.
He is a founding Director of the Australian Clinical Trials Alliance, a foundation Fellow and a member of the Council of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences, a former chair of the ANZICS Clinical Trials Group, and a member of the NHMRC Health Translation Advisory Committee.
Research Leader of
- Interleukin-6 receptor antagonists in critically ill patients with Covid-19
- Outcomes for patients with COVID‐19 admitted to Australian intensive care units during the first four months of the pandemic
- Maintaining strong foundations and building resilience: planning Australia’s path through the COVID-19 pandemic
- Effect of hydrocortisone on mortality and organ support in patients with severe COVID-19. The REMAP-CAP COVID-19 corticosteroid domain randomized clinical trial
- Priority needs for conducting pandemic-relevant clinical research with children in Europe: A consensus study with pediatric clinician-researchers
- Clinical research networks and assessing pandemic severity
- Bending the pandemic curve: Improving decision-making with clinical research
- Webinar – Managing uncertainty in clinical trials: the role of adaptive trial designs
- Plenary presentation: Pandemics cross borders: How to tackle them from a global perspective