Professor Cheng is an infectious diseases physician and is responsible for the prevention of healthcare associated infection at Alfred Health.
He is a Professor at the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine at Monash University and is the Director of Infection Prevention and Healthcare Epidemiology and Professor in Infectious Diseases Epidemiology.
Professor Cheng’s key interests are in influenza, antibiotic resistance, clinical infectious diseases and hospital-acquired infections. He is involved in influenza surveillance in Australian hospitals as well as clinical trials in infectious diseases, and sits on several state and national government advisory committees for immunisation, surveillance and drug regulation.
Research Leader of
- People in intensive care with COVID-19: demographic and clinical features during the first, second, and third pandemic waves in Australia
- Effect of antiplatelet therapy on survival and organ support-free days in critically ill patients with COVID-19: A randomized clinical trial
- A point-of-care lateral flow assay for neutralising antibodies against SARS-CoV-2
- Understanding how Victoria, Australia gained control of its second COVID-19 wave
- Effect of convalescent plasma on organ support–free days in critically ill patients with COVID-19. A randomized clinical trial
- Prospective characterisation of SARS-CoV-2 infections among children presenting to tertiary paediatric hospitals across Australia in 2020: a national cohort study
- ATAGI 2021 annual statement on immunisation Last updated: 19 September 2021
- Therapeutic anticoagulation with heparin in critically ill patients with Covid-19
- Therapeutic anticoagulation with heparin in noncritically ill patients with Covid-19
- Integrated immune dynamics define correlates of COVID-19 severity and antibody responses
- Interleukin-6 receptor antagonists in critically ill patients with Covid-19
- Outcomes for patients with COVID‐19 admitted to Australian intensive care units during the first four months of the pandemic
- Effect of hydrocortisone on mortality and organ support in patients with severe COVID-19. The REMAP-CAP COVID-19 corticosteroid domain randomized clinical trial
- Where has all the influenza gone? The impact of COVID-19 on the circulation of influenza and other respiratory viruses, Australia, March to September 2020
- Coronavirus disease model to inform transmission reducing measures and health system preparedness, Australia
- Modelling the impact of COVID-19 in Australia to inform transmission reducing measures and health system preparedness [pre-print]
- Parechovirus: an important emerging infection in young infants
- Influenza epidemiology, vaccine coverage and vaccine effectiveness in children admitted to sentinel Australian hospitals in 2017: Results from the PAEDS-FluCAN Collaboration
- Influenza and pertussis vaccination of women during pregnancy in Victoria, 2015–2017