January 17, 2024
The APPRISE submission to the Commonwealth Government COVID-19 Response Inquiry draws on key lessons learned by our network during the COVID-19 pandemic.
APPRISE is a national multi-disciplinary network providing an interface between Australia’s research expertise in infectious diseases and the national and jurisdictional governments charged to support responses to emerging public health threats.
The APPRISE submission focuses on the role of research in public health responses to infectious disease emergencies. The key recommendations are to:
- Enhance the role of community engagement and social science in responses
- Implement a research strategy with adaptable and co-ordinated funding mechanisms
- Recognise the crucial partnership between research and public health response
- Build real-time evaluation into responses
- Establish clear, inclusive and transparent processes for evidence evaluation
APPRISE was established in 2016 with funding by the National Health and Medical Research Council. From 2023-2025, APPRISE is funded by the Australian Department of Health and Aged Care to provide a research and work program focused on:
- Privileging First Nations Voices
- Long COVID
- Antiviral utilisation
- APPRISE network and platform support